Saturday, July 05, 2008

Review: A-Train HX

Sim City started the revolution. I have fond memories as a youngster wiling away hours upon hours, on my father’s Atari 512 STE, playing this 2D classic. Since then, simulation type games have become addictive to the masses, absorbing many hours that could have been dedicated to family, friends, or significant hobbies.

As encapsulating as these games are, A-Train HX is the first to grace the Xbox 360, eighteen months after the 360s release*. This game is the next incantation of the A-Train series (none of which I have played), involving the manipulation of railway services to build a prosperous city.

I say ‘a prosperous city’, which in A-Train correlates to ‘allow the AI to build it’ around your creation. By and large, the A-Train HX dynamics can and will confuse – even the most hardcore simulation game fan will become unstuck at some point. As the Fat Controller, you decide where the train stations and tracks go. You have ultimate control of which trains to put on the tracks – ranging from short freight to large 2000-seater fast trains, or tube trains permeating underneath the ground. In order for the AI to kick in, ‘materials’ need to be transported to stations via freight trains from either outside the cities of factories on your map. When the population starts to build, commuter trains help populate the area and more materials result in a larger set of flats or high rise buildings.

At least this is the gist of the game I get. Even after completing the game and writing a quick start guide for a popular achievement website, I couldn’t tell you much else. There is no tutorial regarding the gameplay, let alone the controls. Oh, the controls! As unintuitive as they are frustrating. Many, many times I hit the right button, but I wasn’t selecting the appropriate item to perform the function I intended – it’s not obvious just which item is selected.

Gameplay wise, there is no story mode often associated with modern simulation games. However, provided are eight default maps on an increasing scale of difficulty, ranging from flat plains to mountains and archipelago. Also provided are the tools to create your own maps, to distribute and challenge your friends. If they have the game, which they probably wont.

A-Train HX is easy on the eye, and on the ear. The only visual hiccup worth noting is the camera manipulation near the end of the map, but all the sounds aid the simulation experience.

Ages 3-15 are not recommended ages for this game. I’m not even sure 16+ is appropriate. In fact, I’d recommend it solely to those who either enjoy their trains, or their simulation games. Also for achievement hunters – a simple achievement set for those that can get to grips with the gameplay and controls. A-Train rewards completing certain tasks, but fifteen hours or less is all that is needed for the gamerscore.

I enjoyed A-Train HX, but I like simulation games. And achievements.

borandi

* In English in Europe – in Japan A-Train HX was released a year earlier, and at time of writing, has not been encouraged to approach US shores.

5 comments:

Harold said...

If only Borandi had access to this walkthrough for the A-Train games:

a-trainhx.com/

He might have been able to appreciate the game far more.

As it is, if you have either A-Trainhx or A-Train 8 then this guide will be invaluable. You'll find not only the 'hows' but also the 'whys' relating to all aspects of train management and city development.

If you happen to visit and found it useful then don't forget to leave a message in the guest book.

@Borandi - it seems you have all but given up your pursuit of Xbox game achievements. Best of luck with your latest incarnation.

borandi said...

Hi Mark!

I actually wrote the guide for the game over at xbox360achievements.org - http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64270. All of this without having the manual, due to it was a rental.

Yeah I retired from achievement whoring, circumstances changed such that I couldn't keep doing it.

All the best with your website,

borandi

Harold said...

Hello agian Borandi

sorry for using your Blog for personal messaging but I can't locate an email so....

I wondered how you'd feel about me using your Youtube videos on my A-Train fan site, Borandi?

Naturally I'd state clearly who authored them and why, no problem.

Truth is, Borandi, I have no personal interest in gaming for the sake of achievements - however, I am a believer in gamers playing A-Train the way that they want to. I also respect the trouble you went to in getting the guides finished when most other people had given-up on the game.

I'd either download the videos and host them myself or just link directly to the youtube site (for this reason I'd need to know whether you intend keeping them up).

I'm sure people are finding them interesting/useful and A-Trainhx.com would be a good place for them to be hosted.

What do you think?

Regards
Mark

Unknown said...

Hi I would like to ask a question about a-train hx
The archiviment national Conquest is not displayed but I still finished all eight maps of the game and I deleted all the maps created and downloaded.
What should I do? (Sorry but I'm Italian)

borandi said...

Head over to http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64270. Ask a question there; I don't play anymore.