Wednesday, August 13, 2008

After an Elite

I've been toying with the idea of getting an Elite for a while now. For two main reasons:

a) The Hard Drive. I currently have a 20gb model, which is full. I have ~50 arcade games, and so many retail games with saves, DLC and additional content that my HDD is full. MS take 7GB as a cache to begin with, only leaving 13. But I now do not have enough space for another arcade game. And now, with the Autumnal Update on the horizon having the opportunity to download a disc to the HDD so it loads quicker, a larger 120GB HDD seems a more worthwhile investment.

b) The Latest Chipset. My current UK pro-console is a repairee. This one has been sent back once. Still works fine, but a new console will have less chance of breakage and a brand new warranty. And I need a new wireless controller - all my current ones have problems - a X button that's hard to depress (thanks to Cola spillage), or an LB button that requires force to use (angry day on CoD4).

And there's the oppertunity to get a deal. i.e. GAME are doing an offer where with an elite, you can pay 25 squids for any new/future game, upto a max of 3. So if I get the Fable 2 Special Edition, Fallout 3 Special Edition and Infinite Discovery (RRP at Game for 150) for 75 squids. Seems like a good deal.

Plus I'll have a second power supply, so I can set the current Pro and US consoles at a different TV and swapped as necessary (it's a palava changing between UK and US consoles on my current TV).

So all I need now is £330. Anyone? :) If only I owned the Nintendo franchise...

(bottom image from Ctrl-Alt-Del)

No comments: