Monday, June 02, 2008

1st July: GS Update

It's been the final week of my degree course (with one more minor test type activity left next week), so after the exams were done, it's on with the gaming!
borandi really threw down yesterday. It was good to see! I wish you could have been there! Last time I checked, his gamer score is 97,689. That is an improvement of 925 points over last time! Welcome to 97,000!! He played Rock Band adding 3 achievements, Lost Via Domus finishing an amazing 24 achievements to master the game, Bionicle Heroes gaining 1 achievement, and then nothing... nothing at all...

Did I mention the gamerscore challenge that borandi is competing in? Bookmark this link now and check out all the action! 4 other people are also involved... which is madness. Current rank out of all those people is number one though. Everyone else is jealous... I feel their hate. I've made a wager with the 4 other Xboxes in the Challenge -- let's not blow this thing...
This week saw the arrival of Rock Band into my profile. At the equivalent of $90(45GBP), it's the most expensive game (just the game, on it's own) I've ever purchased. It's been part of a want for a long while, plus a personal gift to myself for finishing! I haven't got the instrument pack yet, I'll probably get that in a few months when a) I have the money, and b) it comes down in price. In the mean time, I've got my GH3 controller for lead and bass, and the wired headset for vocals. More about Rock Band below.

Besides Rock Band, there were a few completions this week, including an old-time grind, and another 'position to remember' completion.

So for the games:

Rock Band

Rock Band

0 -> 50 of 1000
5 of 50 Achievements

I got this game Friday, and now it's Sunday night/Monday morning. What do I think of Rock Band? Well, it's a very good game. There's only so much you can say about this music genre type games, and I thought GH3 had done well, but Rock Band just takes it a step further with a bit of spit and polish to make everything look neat. The layout of the game itself is good and clean, and the repertoire of music tracks available are varied, with many more available on the Marketplace. My first experience of RB was one I was rather expecting - I was told that it was easier on GH3, so I stuck it on Expert difficulty straight away. That was fine, except when I played, the timings were significantly tighter than GH3. That's very good at least, means I have to play to a beat, rather than be slightly off. So far, I'm now at the final track on expert. I haven't had to repeat one yet to pass it, except this final one - it's a bastard. 9 minutes 49 seconds of Freebird style playing and me with a semi-broken wrist. One thing I notice with Rock Band on Guitar is a lot of the tracks have the same note repeated, quickly, for a long time. So my hand hurts. So when I got to this track, I got 80% through TWICE, and a solo kills me. Thats 8 minutes into the track, so you bet it's annoying that to go through it again I have to play though ALL 8 minutes. Pah.

On the vocals side, I suck as I'm tone deaf. However, Roquey and Nellas seem to be pretty good - Roquey has been able to 95%-99% a few songs on hard, and Nellas has finished some on expert as well. It looks like I may be calling upon them to do my Vocal achievements, but we'll see and I'll practice. My vocal range is limited to C, C#, and some wierd falsetto, currently.

GTA IV

GTA IV

540 -> 550 of 1000
34 of 50 Achievements

Not much GTA at all this week. However, the GTA 'kill a developer' achievement was released into the wild. Common thought was that this achievement was not viral, as in you would have to personally kill a developer to get it. But, it seems like it is viral, and spread like wildfire. I caught wind of this fact, and jumped into an online game of Cops and Crooks. I got the achievement on my first kill, so that was handy =D

Bionicle Heroes

Bionicle Heroes

940 -> 1000 of 1000
49 of 49 Achievements

A grinders hardship can be summed up with Bionicle Heroes. For those that have followed my story, this is how it has gone:

I got the game and starting playing it in the morning of 17th February 2007. I sat playing through every level, for almost 8 straight hours. I was 18 stages in (~83% through the game), when I received the following message: 'Autosave Failed'. I did not know what this meant at the time, but to sum up - this game, which does all the saving automatically, will not let you save in two places. If it fails to save, it will no longer save, and your previous save is corrupt. What this meant for me is, that those 8 hours of playing went down the tube. I had 800 or so GS in the game by this time, and the final achievements would require playing through those 8 hours again.

So, over the course of the next 16 months, I played a level here, a level there, making sure not to play it for too long at a time. Until last night that is, when I blitzed 14 levels or so to get the final 19% of the game. It required completing each stage with a gold medal, and collecting every Gold and Silver canister (people have reported in online forums that this isn't necessary, but for me it was) to get the full 100%, and 5 million monies along the way.

My Bionicle Heroes story is a weary one, and I'm glad to get this POS out of the way. Game Complete!

Lost Via Domus

Lost Via Domus

125 -> 1000 of 1000
30 of 30 Achievements

At first, I was saving Lost for a 8-week GS competition over at x360a.org. But then I dropped out, seeing as I will be moving in that time (stay tuned) and then used it for a 360voice 5-day auto challenge. Lost, in all respects, is a fairly easy 1000. No hard parts, a fairly quick game, but at the same time, dull. Not necessarily boring, but just dull. You don't get a sense of 'Why am I playing this?', but you also do not get the sense of 'This is fun and enjoyable!'. With the online guide at x360a.org (check the forums), it was fairly easy with minimal thinking. Game Complete!

Boogie Bunnies

Boogie Bunnies

0 -> 30 of 200
3 of 12 Achievements

I bought Boogie Bunnies for Nellas this week, and also as part of my on-going quest for the 1* Puzzle badge over at 360voice. It's one of these 'match 3 in a row and try not to die' type games, apart from this game uses over the top cute bunny type creatures, who sound like they've been eating the defauly soundbites from every Worms game every made. I haven't had a serious go of this game yet, however the achievements look a bit tricky (Nellas has 6 atm, compared to my 3) and might require some proper playing time.

Jewel Quest

Jewel Quest

60 -> 110 of 200
8 of 12 Achievements

Jewel Quest is also part of my 1* Puzzle gaining quest. This week I finished off the first playthrough, and gained the 500k score margin. Then I got 4/5 through the second playthrough, then I must've pressed a wrong button on a menu option, but I have to start my second playthrough again. Bah humbug.

Burnout Revenge

Burnout Revenge

165 -> 200 of 1000
12 of 36 Achievements

With it being the end of my degree and all, one night involving some mates and pizza, we started taking turns doing crash events on Burnout Revenge. The next day I decided to persue some more achievements, and ended up getting the ones for '250 takedowns' and 'perfect the 2nd stage'. This game is fun, albeit having a high difficulty curve to get the achievements. For crash events, it's better than Burnout: Paradise, but Paradise beats it on everything else.

Buku Sudoku

Buku Sudoku

0 -> 200 of 200
12 of 12 Achievements

Buku was one of the XBLA games released this week. I'm not usually a fan of Sudoku, but after having a look at the achievements, I decided to have a bash. Overall, this game is VERY easy. Achievements include 'win 25 online games', 'win one of each board', 'win one of each difficulty', 'win 200 games', 'get 10million points'. Now what makes this easy is that the helpers on this game make it simple to guess the number required. So if you turn all them on, and do simple 6x6 easy boards, the 200 wins is easy at 20secs/win. In the online modes, if you do co-op 6x6 boards on easy, both people get the online win, making that simple. With the points, if you mix some 6x6 easy with a few (12-15) 12x12 boards on easy which take 2 minutes to solve, the points are easy.

Also something special worth noting - according to MGC I was:

10th in the World to complete Buku
2nd in the UK to complete Buku

Not bad, eh? Game Complete!

Army of Two™

Army of Two™

340 -> 470 of 1250
18 of 47 Achievements

Not much to say about Army of Two - I completed story mode, and got all the associated achievements, as well as killing 250 with machine guns and 30 with riot shield melee. The achievements left involve completing it on the hardest difficulty, some more 'kill with X weapon', and a couple online. EA released some FREE DLC (yes, that's right - free) for the game, but as this is my US copy, I need to use my US account to get the DLC. But the DLC is currently only for Gold members, and my US acc is Silver, so I'll have to wait a bit.

Call of Duty 4

Call of Duty 4

770 -> 940 of 1000
35 of 37 Achievements

I am now done with CoD4. When I saw in Blockbuster that I could get Rock Band for 15 quid if I traded in CoD4, I leapt at the opportunity - after I'd finished all the achievements first. If you may remember, I was stuck on 'In the War Room' on Veteran difficulty and could not get past it, so I did the final 2 levels on Easy. Well this time, I did the final level on Veteran (for an achievement), then 'In the War Room' on Hardened to get the 'Complete on Hardened or Veteran' 90GS achievement. To be honest, Hardened difficulty was very, very easy compared to Veteran. Well apart from that, I had to collect all the intel on every level (x360a.org guide for that, quite easy). That leaves me with two achievements which I have resigned myself to never getting - 'Complete In the War Room on Veteran', and 'Mile High Club'. I also wont be getting them as I traded my copy into BlockBuster. But they didnt get any Rock Band in on their next delivery, so I got a full refund and bought it from GameStation (hence the $90/45GBP price tag). Game Complete? Not quite, but game finished with.

========================
GamerScore: 96,139 -> 97,749
Zone: Pro

Completed XBLA: 23 -> 24 / 58
Completed Retail: 46 -> 48 / 200
GS Completion %: 45.28% -> 45.65%

Country Rank: 73 -> 73
World Rank: 534 -> 515
Completion Rank: 1,072 -> 1,026

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you finally got through Bionicle Heroes!
I quite like Boogie Bunnies but it doesn't have overly easy achievements.