Sunday, February 10, 2008

10th February: GS Update

A very interesting week for gaming. Grinded a couple, and tried a couple new games. Completed a 360voice challenge, started another.
borandi is the best... he treats me right, I treat him right. It is a good thing we have going here. Gamer score stands at 72,657. Not too shabby! That is an improvement of 495 points over last time! He played Blue Dragon gaining 1 achievement to master the game, The Club winning an amazing 27 achievements, Poker Smash, Spyglass Board Games, Catan, and wished it would never end, but it did and that was sad.

A big shift in score is coming soon as well. borandi is competing in a gamerscore challenge titled 'Auto Challenge - #128' and looking to win big. Expect a lot of games, a lot of points, and no sleep!
The only other prevalent news this week is my order of Lost Odyssey. Lost Odyssey is an RPG from Mistwalker Studios (of Blue Dragon fame, featuring the creators of Final Fantasy and this time, Shadow Hearts) that was the major project for the 360 - sort of like Blue Dragon was just a lite spinoff. It's projected to be a Final Fantasy-esque game, due out in the US on the 12th, Aus on the 8th, and the UK on the 29th. However, the Asian/English version is PAL compatible, so I ordered that from Hong Kong for cheaper than the cost of a UK pre-order. Result ;)

Now this weeks games:
660 -> 670 of 1000
13 of 22 Achievements
720 -> 1000 of 1000
38 of 38 Achievements
0 -> 105 of 1125
7 of 52 Achievements
0 -> 465 of 1000
28 of 50 Achievements
0 -> 40 of 200
3 of 12 Achievements
345 -> 1000 of 1000
43 of 43 Achievements
490 -> 520 of 1000
34 of 50 Achievements
Just a small amount of LMA this week. Each season is still a grind, but I've 4 seasons left, currently 10 games into the German league. If this game was nicer on the save/reload feature, then I might be having some fun.

Meet the Robinsons - a fun family game. Difficulty curve may be too high for their target audience, and a couple of frustrating achievements. When I loaded up, I was two fights from the end of the game. Did those, an easy 160GS. With the game complete, I was still missing 110GS - I'd missed one collectable, and not done all the 'special' Havok mini-games. In order to do those, I'd have to play through the whole game to get them. So I did. The first play through took around 7hrs (I reckon). The second playthrough took 4 hours, given that I knew what I was doing and didnt have to worry about the other achievements. Nevertheless, it was frustrating. None of the regular websites I go to have these achievements in the order they would normally be achieved. That would be a nice feature. Nevertheless, Game Complete!

I'd received GRAW2 for Christmas. I'm not a fan of the GRAW series - only sitting through 2 playthroughs of GRAW due to the infinite health cheats. Nevertheless, I'd thought I'd give it a try. It's a nicer game than GRAW - easier controls, and the tutorial is better. However, the achievements are bollocks. Most of them for doing co-op online or on online matches. A small amount for offline. This is stupid from Codemasters. Here this - most people play offline/single player. Don't try and make us play co-op. Otherwise you get angry blogs like mine. Take a leaf out of CoD4s book - a good game gets lots of Online Play, even though ALL the achievements are offline only. Get with the game Codemasters, and make something decent (for once).

I picked up The Club this friday. It was released here on Friday, in the US on the 18th/19th. As a result, there is almost no-one online. However, this game is fun. Imagine Hack-and-Slash gameplay with guns, with points, and combos. Its that good. The single player mode, on the easiest setting, is quite short. 8 locations, each with 6/7 events using the whole location. The harder difficulties require lots of skill, so there's lots of replay value - as well as trying to get high on the leaderboards. Online modes consist of your normal DM, Team DM, CTF, as well as Siege (try and take over a base), Hunter Hunted (like a virus mode) and others. The only downside to this game is that searching for matches takes a while - so when they do appear on your list, most of them have started/been cancelled. Achievements are quite varied - some offline, some online. The online ones involve doing each location on any difficuly, then insane difficulty, and then some other skill based ones. Offline involves killing X amount of people with Y weapon, and the stereotypical 'win on every map' type achievements. Also, there is the -now quite boring- 10,001 kill achievement, called 'No, Seriously...' (a dig at the 10k kill achievement on Gears of War called 'Seriously...'). Overall, a fun game, that allows pick up and play. After the first day, I was 12th in the world with 415GS. Good stuff ;) A hard 1000GS though.

This weeks XBLA game was Poker Smash - Bejeweled meets Poker meets Puzzle Quest. Its a winner - pick up and play, impossible achievements, and good fun. Go play the demo - if you like, its a definite pickup at 800MSPs. I got some simple chain achievements - 3x and 5x - but the difficult one is 24x that I'd never get :(

The big game of the week (again) was Blue Dragon. Using the guide, lots of achievements came my way. The big worries were whether I'd get the 'collect all items/monsters' achievements. But they came quite easily - all I'd missed was a couple of level 1 spells that I could go back and buy. The long achievement was the 'get all characters to level 99' achievement. That took 4 hours of grinding, just fighting the same monster over and over again. Nevertheless, it works out at 90.5 hours to get that playthrough (I played 30hrs before I restarted, so 120hrs total) and the full 1000GS. Game Complete!

This week also yielded a surprise achievement - completing Hard on GH2. I 4*'d Free Bird, and did some more of Expert. If I could get my hand around those 32nd notes, then I'd be fine ;)

GamerScore: 71457 -> 73072
Zone: Pro

Completed XBLA: 15 / 45
Completed Retail: 34 -> 36 / 159
GS Completion %: 42.87% -> 43.51%

Country Rank: 137 -> 129
World Rank: 905 -> 860
Completion Rank: 1,952 -> 1,812

No comments: